Saturday, July 16, 2016

Things that I've learned since I've gotten Cancer.

Memories of my MUN Business class hit me the other day. There was a list that a student came up with called, "100 Things I Learned in Business School." Good ole, Tim. It was brilliant. All the odd concepts and things that accumulated over the 5 years, ahem 6, of my long MUN life. So what I decided to do was just try to do think of some things that I have accumulated over the past 5 years as a metastatic cancer survivor.


Things I've learned when you have cancer:
  • I'm the healthiest sick person ever. 
  • Medical tests are a joke no matter what the consequence.
  • Any type of test with a 'scan' can't be good for you.
  • Scaniexty does exist.
  • Colonoscopy's aren't that bad, only when there are 6-8 medical students to have a good view with you too.
  • MRI's let you know if you're claustrophobic or not.
  • Surgery is surgery wherever it is, not speaking from experience (colon x 2, liver x 3, lung and brain)
  • Surgery for anyone who isn't having it takes forever.
  • 1/4 hospital roommates is bound to be crazy.
  • Radiation never takes as long as one thinks.
  • Chemotherapy no matter what the type can be a real pain.
  • Blood thinner injections are always fun, not. 
  • Power Ports are awesome but 95% of nurses do not know how to use them. 
  • Power Ports end a budding physical sports career.
  • Take 100% of all offers given.
  • Side effects are all they are cracked up to be and then some.
  • Just because you are considered disabled by the Canadian Government (CPP), it doesn't mean that CRA thinks so. 
  • Insurance companies could be the best/worst thing to happen to you.
  • Colostomy's aren't as cool as they are made out to be.
  • Everyone thinks that you look great on the outside when it's the inside is the issue.
  • The mind can be a very powerful thing.
  • There's a silver lining to everything, you just have to look for it.
  • No matter where the cancer goes in your body, where it starts is what it is.... the good ole shitty cancer, colon.
  • I didn't get the 'good cancer.'
  • And, of course, don't sweat the small stuff. 
Now this is only a partial list, it can go on and on and on. Just a small snippet that I thought up and I know that I can always add more when needed for sure.

Have an awesome weekend, Planet Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment